Monday, May 5, 2014

DIY Yard Mobile

    
 
     Well hello there stranger! Long time no see! Yes, that would be my fault, but I'm so glad I finally have something to post about. So, in case you didn't know, we won a yard make-over from our Community center. Davey-Tree is coming out and going to replace EVERYTHING in our front yard! New grass, out with the lava rocks and in with the red mulch, good-bye funky grass and boring bushes and hello Hydrangeas, Hostas, Lavender, Camillas, Confederate Jasmine, and Honeysuckle! Seriously guys, of all the prizes they were giving away at this event, this is the only one I wanted. Perfect timing for Mother's Day too! Moving on to the point, I have a yard to decorate. So far we have a bird bath and a white rabbit.


     During my Pinterest search for things to do/put in my yard, I found this. I had never seen anything like it before and was in love. The man who was selling it no longer had it in stock, so I decided to make my own. I searched around for my supplies, and ended up with this.

Clear stretchy string, Tin Pitcher, Clear beads in varying gem shapes (Michaels), Scissors, Gorilla Super Glue (My Home), and White Screw-in Hanging Hooks (BX)
 
     So to start, I cut the Stretchy string into 6 fairly even, 3' strands. I tied my tear drop shaped beads at the bottom of the string, tied a double knot 3-5" up, slid on the next bead, tied another double knot 3-5" up, slid on th next bead, and just repeated that until I had about 6" of string left.
 
 
     After I had finished all my strands, I put them through the hole in the spout of the pitcher and tied and super glued them to this contraption my husband jerry-rigged.
 
 
We purchased a double shepherd's hooks at Lowes and I hung it straight on that.
 
 
     Now, things I would have done differently; I would have bought an actual watering can, where the head removes from the spout, I think that would allow the strings to separate more and look fuller. I'd also put strings in every hole in the watering can head. Instead of the stretchy string, I would get fishing string. I'm not sure how long this stretchy string will hold up outdoors, so I guess we'll see. I'm happy with the beads, although hanging these Crystals from Amazon at the ends would be so pretty. And of course, why didn't I buy a washer?! Thankfully the thing we tied all the strings too isn't too visible, but I think a washer would've been easier and just a better choice.
 
     Even though I certainly could've done it better, it still looks beautiful out in my yard. It'll look even better Once Davey-Tree finishes up my yard make-over! I can't wait to get a bird feeder out there, and maybe even move my hummingbird feeder out front too. Thank you so much for stopping by and checking this out! If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments below! Have a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment